Taking advantage of one of my late work days, this morning I got the chance to paint up the first of my NQSYW (Not Quite Seven Years War) troops for my Imagi-Nation of “The Grand Duchy of Rhein-Heitsgeboten”. After a few weeks of indecision, Chris Palmer and some of the other HAWKs helped me settle on a beer/brewing themed nation with appropriate brown coats. With a few exceptions, I plan to carry the brown jacket/beige breeches theme throughout the infantry, only varying the facing colors to differentiate the regiments. The beer-bottle green for this first outing is again one of Chris’s brainstorms, so big thanks go out to him!
For the paint scheme, I followed the existing regiments’ example and kept it simple with little to no shading or highlighting in order to capture a more “vintage” style. This really took a lot of self-control on my part, being a bit of a detail freak in my usual 28mm painting. The recipe was simple:
- Prime black, then sprayed brown.
- Flesh color was Reaper Rosy Flesh not exactly happy with that as is, might go back paint in eyes and do one layer of highlights to add more definition
- Breeches were painted in one of the new Games Workshop tan colors, exact name escapes me at the moment
- hat and gaiters(?) Vallejo model color black
- Cuffs and turnbacks – base coat of GW Dark Angels Green, highlighted with GW Snot Green
- Belts and neck cloth – GW Codex Grey, Vallejo model color white over top
- Rifle – metal parts were base coated Vallejo model color black and then painted over with GW Chainmail. Strap was painted with the same tan color as the breeches
I probably won’t be able to make too much progress on the rest of the remaining company until after the HMGS Fall-In Convention season is over and done with, so stay tuned!